A wishlist filled with books that I already should have bought two years ago.

Does it ever happen to you guys that you have this wishlist, one that is filled with amazing books that you have been dying to read for the longest time, and yet you order completely different books?
Well, it did to me. This week.
Don't get me wrong, I will be perfectly happy with the books I ordered in the beginning of this week, but I do wish that I would have taken a closer look at my wishlist. Because to be honest, I know that the books on this wishlist will change everything. And they will fit me so well that I would never ever want to change again.
As you might have guessed from the lines you've just read, I have a small book haul coming up. Small, only four books and there is only one reason for that.

The incredibly annoying economic crisis. 

Hello, my name is Laurien and I have been jobless (is that a word? If not, I have now invented it) for three whole months.
(p.s: there is a discussion about this topic coming up very soon)
(p.s.s: I have quite a few feelings about this topic.)



Okay, back to the wishlist.
Due to the amazing BookTube, this special wishlist keeps growing. I only put the books that I truly really want to read and know will be amazing on this list, so I can prevent it from turning into a chaos.
Here are a few of them:

  •  WE by  Yevgeny Zamyatin (translated by Clarence Brown) 
The reason why I really want to read this book is mainly because of Chris Rhodes (YouTube) and his review on this book. It's a science fiction classic and it's about a dystopian world, one in which there are no individuals, just numbers. Nature has been shut out from the society and only exists behind the Green Wall. 
The story follows one number who is an architect on the Integral (spaceship) and they're getting ready to explore the outer world, the world of aliens. But one day before they are supposed to leave, he discovers a bunch of information about his world as he knows it and all of the sudden he's not so sure anymore about the good intentions of his people. 

This book sounds right up my alley and Chris got me so excited that I just want to pick it up right now and start reading. The whole concept of it just seems so interesting and unique, that I'm practically dying to read this and I can't believe why I didn't order it.

  • Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
The reason why I want to read this book is because 1) too many people keep talking about it, 2) for some strange reason I really like the title and 3) it's about a fireman burning books and it so happens that I have a weakness for firefighters (Chicago Fire, anyone?). It's basically about a guy named Guy who is a fireman and his job is to burn books. Now before your poor booklover hearts start tearing in two, Guy happens to really enjoy reading. One small thing: his government has forbidden everyone from reading. 
Cruel, I know, but that is also what makes his life tougher. There is this special force that tracks down everyone who is still reading and attempts to remember what society used to look like. 

So. Books, secrets, a fucked-up government and a hero as the main character. What else do you need? 

  • The Virgin Suicides by Jeffey Eugenides 
This book has also been popping up on my radar, whether it has been on YouTube, twitter or friends reading it, and I want to be one of those cool people who have managed to get a copy. 
The story follows five sisters who only get to live a few years before they all commit suicide, one after the other. The first one to take her own life is 13-year-old Cecilia Lisbon and eventually her four other sister follow in her footsteps. 
Twenty years later, a few boys who had been fascinated by the girls' personalities and eventually suicides, can't stop speaking about it and the girls once again become the subject of discussion. 

In my opinion, this story sounds like a mix of creepiness and yet a really interesting storyline. The reviews on this book are somewhat shaky, the one gives it three stars and the other five, but I really want to read it for myself and see what it is all about. 

  • I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

Do I even have to explain this? After reading and admiring The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, I have been so eager to get a hold of his other books because I simply fell for his writing style and the way he manages to use words as magic spells.

I Am the Messenger follows an underaged cabdriver named Ed, who pretty much leads a normal life, as he is in love with his best friend Audrey and that he would do everything for his dog who is addicted to coffee. But one day, he manages to stop a bank robbery. And that is when he becomes the Messenger.
It sounds cool, Zusak is the writer and I like me some strange people as protagonists.

Do you have any special books on your wishlist?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dank je wel voor het reageren! :)